Golf Cart Permits
City Council approved the use of golf carts on certain city streets with a city-issued permit. During the 2023 season, the Champlin Police Department will monitor resident use to ensure all safety initiatives put in place are followed. Council will reconvene this fall to make adjustments as needed. Misuse will be subject to fines or permit revocation. View the report and ordinance amendment.
To apply, download an application. Bring your completed form, valid ID, and current insurance to the Public Safety Building/Police Station. Once approved, you will then pay and be issued a permit in person. Payment can be made in the form of check or cash.
View the authorized roadways map to see where you can drive your golf cart.
Rules of Operation:
To ensure safe operation, view the educational handout.
- Must be 16+ with a valid driver's license
- Must carry proof of insurance
- Must obey all traffic laws
- Operate May through October only
- Operate Sunrise to sunset only
- Driving is prohibited during inclement weather
- Driving is prohibited on trails, parks, and sidewalks
- Golf Cart Requirements:
- Slow moving vehicle emblem
- Parking brakes
- Rearview Mirror
- Display city-issued permit sticker on rear driver-side bumper
- Can I cross Highway169?
- Can I drive on trails or sidewalks?
- Can I cross prohibited roads?
- Can I get to Andrew's Park?
- Can I park in a vehicle parking stall?
- Can I drive at night if my golf cart has headlights?
- I have a disability, what does this mean for driving a golf cart?
- What does the slow moving vehicle emblem look like?