The City of Champlin is part of a Joint Powers Fire District that shares fire services with the City of Anoka. This Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) began in 1985.
The Fire Department is a combination department which means it employees both full-time and paid-on-call firefighters. The Fire Chief and three full-time firefighters make up the full-time staffing with the assistance of a part-time Fire Department Administrative Assistant. The paid-on-call division consists of forty four firefighters who respond to calls in each City. The Fire Department has two stations. Station No. 1 is located in Anoka and it houses two engines, one rescue, one tanker, two grass truck, one ladder truck, one boat and two boom containment trailers for spill containment. Station No. 2 is located in Champlin and it houses two engines, one ladder truck, one boat, one grass truck and one decontamination trailer.
One of the most traditional Fire Departments in Minnesota the Anoka Fire Department was established in 1857 as the Protection Hook and Ladder company. Today the Anoka Champlin Fire Department is distinguished by its white vehicles. A nod to the days when Anoka firefighters used white horses to pull their steam drawn engines.
The Anoka-Champlin Fire Department Station No. 2 is located in Champlin’s Public Safety Building at 11955 Champlin Drive.
The Anoka-Champlin Fire Department Station No. 1 is located in Anoka’s Public Safety Building at 275 Harrison Street.