Vacant Building Registration

//Vacant Building Registration
Vacant Building Registration 2018-01-23T15:39:32+00:00

Vacant Building Registration

In January 2012 the City of Champlin adopted a Vacant Building Registration program that requires owners of vacant buildings, residential or non-residential, to register their property and pay a fee. This is similar to cities across the country, a response in part to the foreclosure crisis.

In 2011, the City invested over $75,000 monitoring foreclosed and vacant buildings. The VBR program is designed to improve the City’s information base on potentially vulnerable properties and shift the monitoring costs from the taxpayer to the building owner.

A six-month registration fee is $300 for residential and $500 for non-residential buildings. Subsequent registration and fees are due every six (6) months after the original registration as long as the building remains vacant. Owners that don’t register their properties will be subject to administrative registration and an additional $100 charge.

Extended vacationers or snowbirds, up to 180 days, who have the intention to return to the property, are exempt from registering. A building that has suffered from a fire or a severe weather event is exempt from registration for a period of 90 days to allow for cleanup, repair or demolition. A government-owned property such as HUD or SBA properties are also exempt from registering.

Vacant Building Registration Factsheet
Vacant Building Registration Ordinance
Vacant Building Registration Form

For more information, contact Rebecca McMahon Code Enforcement Officer at 763-923-7196 or